Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Designing Churches

Last week in class we mentioned a little bit about the design of churches.

Well, after looking around a bit I have found one that I like and thought I'd throw it up on here to see what people think.

This is the inside of Northside Church of the Nazarene, located in Fort Worth, Texas.





Some of the things I like about this building are the placement of the screens (and the fact that there are 2 of them!) as well as the centrality of the altar that still allows other things to be on stage. It looks to me like the pulpit is on the right hand side, but if I was in charge I'd get rid of it and set up a smaller one behind the altar a little bit.

I think it looks a little bit messy without any people in the choir seats, but if people were sitting there it'd look good.

Your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I do like a church to look like a place of worship. I think pictures of the cross and other 'religious' symbols are important. While I think that most of us could worship in a factory, I do believe holy places have their place. A part of the atmosphire is knowing you are entering a different place; the house of the Lord. Once you have the building to your liking, you then have to attend to furnishings, sound systems, overheads, pictures and icons (I'm not Catholic), colour (that is important), layout, lighting AND leadership. No good have a great place to worship if you have Jimmy Jones at the front!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Andrew, thanks for the feedback it'svery challenging...good, I like challenging. For you ideal church interior I would suggest that the flags not be there; hear me out, with todays "culturally correct" jargon you can't have the Australian flag without the Aborigional & Torris Strait flag then ther's the SA flag and the Armed forces flags if you happen to have anyone representing them, then there's the Emergancy rescue flags and the....alright you get the picture, just let the only banner over your church interior be JESUS CHRIST and you can't go too wrong. Choir and music should be to the left of the congregation so as not to draw attention to them, then the alter and pulpit centre slightly elevated, with the Eucharist Table always set as a reminder of Christ's sacrificial love for us to the right, (just use fake bread and red celefane in a lead crystal goblet) when not in real use. Well that's some ideas from Ps. Barry's church layout, I think he is onto something. GBU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, thanks for posting the pic of the church. It looks great. I like the agree with you about the cross,that is in the centre and it relays the message on the centrality of the cross. I would be disturbed by the two big screens. Sorry I am not against visual media and sounds. It might be appealing to the people in that congregation but what if a person who is not used to this technology walks in that church, what would be the reaction? will that change his way of worship?, the environment contributes alot to the our attitude to worship. Sorry, I just thought i make a comment

    ReplyDelete